Thursday, July 12, 2012

REFUEL 2012 @ Laguna Seca Mazda Raceway

Laguna Seca Mazda Raceway REFUEL 2012 (July 1, 2012)
This year Electric car conversions were a small portion of the Electric cars at Laguna Seca.
Production cars dominated the Track with 5 Tesla Model S cars, several Tesla Roadsters, several Coda cars, Nissan Leafs, and BMW ActiveE cars. They also had electric motor cycles Production and conversion or prototypes.  This year they allowed GoCart conversions as well.


According to this I came in first in my class although I thought there were conversions faster than me.  I believe they had mechanical problems before the time trials.

I almost didn't go this year as I had to work on Saturday the day before.  But at the last minute,  I decided to go for it.  So I towed my car to work and left straight from work to make the 8 hour trip.
Last year they had plenty of room for cars.  This year it was a bit over crowded.  Unfortunately I had E-Mailed the Refuel guys telling them to cancel my registration and then changed it back to yes I was going to go.  Also requested them to call me if there was going to be a problem but I guess they were a little too busy getting the event off the ground and so they missed my message.  As a result, I was not able to drive in the practice runs but did get to participate in the time trials.
It was great fun to drive on this race track again.  Next time I hope to have wide tires and a chance to practice.

Here's a shot of Steven's car.  He's from Washington and when he gets the lead out of his car he will be really fast!!




Here's one of the 5 Tesla S models that were at REFUEL 2012.  These cars did exceptionally well.  The 5 Model S cars came in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 6th. (a Roadster came in 5th).

No comments:

Post a Comment