Sunday, December 13, 2009

Motor Mount Fabrication

Sadly, I don't have a plasma cutter. So fabricating my motor mount was done using an angle cutter, 4 or 5 cutting wheels and a grinding wheel. I went down to Escondido Metal supply and sorted through their scrap section. I found some 6" X 6"x 3/16" square pipe. I had them cut me a 9.25" length. Their scrap was a treasure to me :-) .

Sunday, December 6, 2009

Motor Mount Design

Here's the layout I'm planning on using on my motor mount. It will bolt to the front surface of the motor.
So as I see it. The motor mount I have would have worked if the bolt pattern
would have been like this.
o......o like this

But after mounting the motor to the transmission, my pattern is like this:


SO I need a wider mount to accommodate the 45 degree shift in the bolt pattern.
Since the transmission adapter plate has only four attachment bolts, trying to rotate it (to adjust the motor bolt pattern) yields a 90 degree rotation. NO GOOD.
Of course we could drill new holes in the motor. However, I really do not want to do that.
The saga continues...

Thursday, December 3, 2009


One of the cabinets in my garage decided to fall off the wall after hanging there for the last 10 years. Unfortunately my car was underneath it.
The back panel of the cabinet stayed attached to the wall with the lag bolts I had used 10 year prior. Sadly I now have a few dents to fix. I can't even bring myself to work on the car right now.
Luckily there was no major damage.